What’s unique about Courtenay, Vancouver Island?
Courtenay is situated on the east coast of Vancouver Island about an hours drive north of Nanaimo. It is one of the bigger towns on the island and is neighboring Comox on the other side of the bay. Thus it is easily reached by plane and ferry, since Comox has both a ferry port and an airport.
If money were no object, what would you do in Courtenay?
I love to be pampered in a spa at the Kingfisher Oceanside Inn. Another option would be to go golfing at the Crown Isle Resort and Golf Community in Comox. And if I really had the money, I’d buy a house on the coast of Comox
Name five tourist spots in Courtenay that are worth the effort.
1) Crown Isle Golf Course is an award winning Platinum rated golf course. Playable for golfers at all levels.
2) Mount Washington is home to one of the most spectacular coastal alpine settings in North America. With the Pacific Ocean as a backdrop on one side and scenic Strathcona Park bordering the other it is a sought after media location.
3) Strathcona Provincial Park is the oldest provincial park in British Columbia. Located almost in the centre of Vancouver Island, Strathcona park is a rugged mountain wilderness. To see and enjoy much of the scenic splendor requires hiking or backpacking into the alpine regions.
4) The Spa at the Kingfisher Oceanside Inn is world class spa, situated on the ocean’s edge on the eastern shore of Vancouver Island.
5) A scenic drive around the coast line of Comox.
What’s your favorite restaurant?
1) Martine’s Bistro on the Marina in Comox
2) Kingfisher Oceanside Spa and Resort
Who has the best happy hour?
The Backfin Pub in Comox has great service and an even better view being right at the marina.
Where is the best shopping?
You can find the most options in the Courtenay Mall on the South Island Highway, where all the big stores can be found. If you are looking for smaller shops and boutiques you’ll find them along 5th St. in Courtenay.
Where do the locals hang out?
Locals like Martine’s Bistro. A great place to go to for a walk is Goose Spit Park where you can enjoy the fresh breeze from the sea. If you like a more sheltered outing you can go for a walk in Seal Bay Nature Park.
Monika of TravelWorldOnline is a part-time resident of Courtenay. She owns a flat on the coast and spends time there as much as possible, because she loves the sea, the people and the island.